SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do roller-furling cruisers need a storm jib?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
28 years ago I had a Hunter 27 that I converted to a roller reefing 150% genoa. I had the old 110 jib cut into a staysail, and installed a padeye and removable stay in the deck. It was reinforced with a turnbuckle below deck tied into the hull. I took the boat out in the ocean on a day when it was blowing maybe 15 to 18 knots. Using the roller furling genoa I could couldn't find any combination that would allow me to sail upwind! We tacked back and forth for 1/2 hour and gained but a few feet. I then furled the genoa and set the staysail, and we took off for our destination 20 miles away. I was very surprised that it made so much difference!

The guy on the dock next to me with a Hunter 25 had something I've never seen before, reefable hank on jib. It had a second clew ring above the standard one, and ties to hold the extra cloth. I sailed with him one day when it was blowing a a steady 25 mph and it worked really well.

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook