SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overuse of technology
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I do, but wouldn't have the stones to put it into practice on the approach to the SF Gate in fog (for example)! 6 knot currents, rocks and bridge...OH MY! I don't care how good you are, it's a guesstimate right? Oh yeah,,,did I mention the TANKERS? Nope, I'm throwing out the hook (obviously, not in the channel), or staying out (possibly Hove To) until it clears.
I know you have your share of current and obstacles up there (BC right?)....Would you thread the needle in the fog using those techniques?
You are correct. I would everything at my disposal. When I in a a high traffic area I would also monitor the appropriate vessel traffic services and use my radar. GPS and chartplotter do not show other vessels.

Set and drift are essential tools in planning. For example if I am leaving Vancouver and heading for the Gulf Islands I need to plan ahead to determine which of the passes I am going to transit. A 1 knot flood in Georgia Strait can knock off 20% of my boat speed if I am heading south to Porlier Pass. I am late to Porlier I really have no options as there are no anchorages or marinas in the vicinity. If that route proves untenable, then I can go over to Gabriola Pass which does have a marina and anchorage nearby. But in each case I can plan on what time I need to leave Vancouver.

Set and drift are not useful in threading needles, but they can assist in determining which needle to thread.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook