SailNet Community - View Single Post - shore power
Thread: shore power
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
shore power

Last time we were at a marina and plugged into the shore power outlet (30amp) got a reverse polarity short. ii wasn't a big concern since we were only there one evening. Never got around to cking the wiring on the boat until today, over a year later

So removed the 120 volt panel and traced out wiring.(this is wiring I know about, not a mystery like some DC stuff) Oh.. what a mess, strands running under bunks, no conduit. staples on the bulkhead to light and outlet boxes, no GFIs. BUT everything checked out. no shorts anywhere that I could detect with the ohm meter. The water heater element (new WH) the 2 outlets and one reading lamp all work.

Questions;
Do marinas have more problems with wet,shorted,and unreliable shore power then I expect in my limited experience?

Options to conceal wiring on bulkheads, cabin ceiling, etc? Stapling stranded house wire is not an option

plastic wire-mold raceways come to mind. whats the word on that? I could make it out of mahogany if there isn't a "code" on such wiring on bulkheads and other areas of the boat.
thanks in advance!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 03-20-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook