SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011

tjohnsonr33 is on a distinguished road
Boat Suggestions

In the market for a boat to replace my first boat, a Ranger 33. I sail the San Francisco bay. I race occasionally but eventually, would like to do it more frequently. Just time constrained at the moment. I've been looking at/considering a Beneteau 411, Catalina 380/390/387...and most recently a C&C 37+. A Peterson 44 caught my eye but was gone before I could grab it.

Most of my sailing is in the bay but I'd like to venture out down the coast. I'm having no misconceptions about bluewater...although that is how I hope to spend some of my retirement in 5/10 years, provided I can coax my wife into it.

Anyway, I have three boys, 13, 11 and 9. The ranger quickly got too small for weekend jaunts.

So, got interested initially in the Beneteau 411, Catalina 380. Then I got cold again listening to folks on this site bash Beneteaus and Catalina's. I can understand some of the concerns about smaller/cheaper rigs, etc. But really, is the Catalina 380 really that poor of quality? What can I expect over the long haul? Seems to be built very tough.

Is there any site that has any quantitative comparison between various boat suppliers? I'm looking for something with a little bit more substance than what I've been finding. i.e. cases of boats falling apart or rigging breaking, actual controlled testing of haul strengths, etc.

If you have any suggestions for boats I'd love to hear them. Looking to say <$140K. Looking for a PHRF of <=120. 38-42 feet. Enough room for my family of 5 and dog. Decent metrics (comfort, SA/DISP, capsize ratio, etc.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook