SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weird 'severe' vibration
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I'm also going suggest a possible problem with the motor mounts. It may be as Rich suggested that when you tighten the stuffing box you are just transfering the movement to the hull (i.e., the box is helping to keep the driveline from moving around). If it is a Yanmar, they view the motor mounts as a wear item and suggest replacement every 5-7 years, as I recall. I replaced all four mounts on our Yanmar 2GMF this weekend and realigned the engine and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! In the process of replacement, I found that not only not only had the 27 year old original mounts gone soft (the rubber that is), but the stud on one of them was broken. The broken stud was not noticible until I pulled the mount becuase it was held in place by the weight of the engine. I hadn't even noticed it when the engine was running and I was checking the old mounts. Anyhow, if you decide to go that route, I highly recommend getting original Yanmar mounts. There are a lot of aftermarket ones out there, but my research suggested that a lot of people have trouble with them. It is an expensive replacement, but in our case well worth it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook