SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steel sailboat designs
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Properly maintained their should be no inherent problems with maintaining a steel boat its true, but generally speaking they do require more work than plastic.

Even then if you have a serious problem one of the glories of a steel boat is that problem areas can be cut out and replaced. If you can weld then hey presto, if not, welders are not all that hard to find, even in remote locations.

Marcelo,
Aptly named that Bulldog. Looks a solid wee beastie. Not a half bad interior for 30'. All the essentials, good galley, good berths. No need to bugger about with a wheel, tiller more than adequate on a boat that size.

These are from Ted Brewers site. Nice boke Ted. Gave me lots of advice when I was thinking of buying one of his.

As a comparison these are pics and layouts of our boat, the VDS34.

Image files of "Van de Stadt 34" from

Van de Stadt Design

I still emphasise that we bought Raven despite the fact she was steel, not because of. I seriously doubt we would ever buy another steel boat unless as with the Womboat we found what we wanted and she happened to be steel. My choices from top to bottom would be Aluminium, Cold Moulded Timber, Plastic, Steel, Traditional Wood Construction, Floating Footpath.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook