SailNet Community - View Single Post - Relocating to north to Maine ... looking at a new jib
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
Don't know your boat, but on my masthead Peterson 34 sloop (which is usually moored on the mid-coast in Maine), I have a 135% genoa, a 100% jib, a heavy-weather staysail, and a storm staysail (these latter two hank onto a removable inner forestay).

For an offshore delivery from South Carolina to Maine, you're definitely going to want some way of reducing your headsail to well below a 130.

Do you fly your sails from a roller furler? hanks? or a slotted foil?

Are your jib lead cars easily adjustable on their tracks (e.g. block and tackle system vs. pin-stop)? How far forward do your tracks run?

Do you have a slotted toe rail to which you can attach snatch blocks for alternate leads?

Can you rig an inner forestay or a solent stay, off which you could fly heavy weather sails?

For sailmakers in Maine other than the North loft in South Freeport, I recommend:

Pope Sails and Rigging in Rockland: Pope Sails & Rigging

Maine Sailing Partners in Freeport: Maine Sailing Partners, Sailmaker, Racing, Cruising Sails

Hallett Canvas and Sails in Falmouth: Hallett Canvas and Sails

For rigging, I recommend Maloney Marine Rigging in Southport: Maloney Marine Rigging, Inc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook