SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so many Hunter haters?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011
grube

grube is on a distinguished road
I have a 1999 Hunter 380. Yes it is quite different than my previous vessel (Catalina 30 with Tall Rig and Bow Sprit).
However, we acquired it to ensure we could stay in the sailing game vice switching to the "dark side." The roller furling main does that (and yes, I am aware of the downsides to this convenience). The PO was a very well-travelled sailor (CT41 around the world) who took this particular Hunter to Alaska twice and around Vancouver Island twice, the last time going well offshore. It is rated as an "A" vessel for offshore -- but I have the same concerns others do about that (lee cloths, loose floor boards, lack of handholds, the B/R rig -- am not too sure if the latter is a real problem or it just looks like one...).
However, we are not going to Fiji or even San Diego. We will be coastal cruising and, maybe this or next year, now that I am (sort of) retired, we will get to Desolation Sound. The boat was described by my sister-in-law as a "sea condo." It is extremely comfortable to say the least and a pleasure to view and to sail. So far so good.
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook