SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life jackets for kids: rigid or inflatable?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
A single jackline can be rigged in minutes using a spring line from front cleat to aft (this is what you do when delivering a boat that is ill equipped--been there). We're not talking Southern Ocean here, and the kids would not be on deck in the rough. In fact, if it is rough you'll need the jacklines.

It's cold here in Maryland now. PFD every time in the tender and the harness goes on before I leave the dock (I am forced to sail single-handed in cool weather it seems). I'm not a fool; I tailor my precautions to the situation and cold water kills.
I really coudln't agree more with your general approach.....

The benefit of modern sailing is all this helpful information, advise and regulation.....the problem with modern sailing is all this helpful information, advise and regulation

Yes of course we all have to be legal, but more importantly common sense surely should dictate that we all think carefully about what we believe to be safe or not on any given day on our vessels.

Here in Australia I find at times I act far more conservatively than regulations require.......but then at other times I may be more relaxed than the regulations allow.

See that is the problem with regulations and law......they can't think for themselves, they can't look out the window and use their experience and instincts to make decisions.

I can, and I will continue to be the LAST say when it comes to deciding matters related to the safety of my family.

So my advice is forget what is legal, acceptable, popular or common............

Instead do your research.....imagine the imaginable, which is losing a loved one overboard....Check the inflatable's kids PFD's out and try them on......weigh the pros and cons....work out what your protocol will be for when everyone will/will not be wearing a PFD and to what degree comfort will play a factor in enforcing this......

......and then make a decision....

it will be the right decision/a good decision as it will be your decision, not what some bureaucrat thinks.

To answer your other question about people's real practice.....my wife and I are experienced sailors and we generally wear our 'full kit' when offshore in most conditions. Our full kit consists of PFD/Harness combo's with lights/whistles and PLB's.

There are times when we won't wear this offshore, if conditions are placid and we are both together in the cockpit, we may not...........but our instincts are strong and if one of us goes below, normally the other will immediately kit up and clip on.

Inshore we generally don't wear our kits at all......however we have a lifesling, inflatable danbouy(patented aussie design), and throwing bag at the ready.

We play a game with each other......we have an older worn life-buoy with a big moustache and pretty eyes drawn on called Fred. Regularly and randomly we like to throw Fred overboard when the other person is not paying attention at all and this thereby constitutes a man overboard.

To date Fred has always been back onboard within a few minutes.

However I have to reiterate that when offshore we are of the belief that prevention is far better than cure. We were both taught by offshore racing types who bashed into us that a man overboard offshore is a dead man.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 03-22-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook