SailNet Community - View Single Post - Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011

MikeMorrison is on a distinguished road
Hello, this is actually my first post, I've been lurking here for a while... my girlfriend and I took the CYA basic keelboat course at the Midland Bay Sailing Club last summer. It was a very enjoyable experience, and we both learned quite a bit. The course is run fairly informally, both weekends the weather was good, so we spent almost the entire time sailing, with a little book time once we got back just before we left for the day. I think he marked down 32 hrs in my log book for time spent sailing. We did not write the test at the end of the second weekend, but went back I think in September for a study session one weekend and then to write the exam on a second weekend. The instructor was great, and very flexible, so if the distance is an issue (I see you're in southwest Ontario) I'm sure he would be willing to make other arrangements to accomodate you. The whole club seems to be run fairly informally, seems like a friendly place that really impressed me so much I'm actually considering becoming a member in the future. Georgian Bay is a beautiful place to sail.

The course was fairly basic, but it is called "basic keelboat", so I suppose that is to be expected. I think all the CYA requirements were covered well, and everyone seemed happy with the course. I'm hoping to take the coastal navigation and intermediate keelboat courses in the future.

The boat we used was a Shark 24, not the prettiest boat but was well suited to the purpose. There were 3 of us in the session, so 4 of us on the boat including the instructor. I'm not sure if they will use the same boat this year or not. If you have any specific questions I can put you in contact with the instructor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook