SailNet Community - View Single Post - Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011

MikeMorrison is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotted View Post
Welcome and congrats, Mike!

Sounds like you had a good time that was well worthwhile. The Midland course sounds very interesting, although it being over two weekends means two longish (about 4 hours each way) trips for me, whereas Adventure Sailing in Penetang (just literally around the corner) completes the course in 4 or 5 consecutive days - one trip - and for about the same cost.

Did you practise between weekends on the course? Did/do you have your own boat, or were/are you sailing through a club boat program?

It's always good to know that there are Canadian sailors on SailNet!
I can definitely see how 4 or 5 consecutive days would be better for you than two weekends. Plus there is the potential that you would need to go up again to write the exam with the MBSC course. For me, I have limited vacation time so two weekends was the best choice. At the time we took the course I only had an Albacore dinghy, and because I commute from north of Barrie to the Toronto area for work there isn't enough time on weeknights to go sailing, so we did not practice. I passed the course with no difficulty, I haven't sailed in quite a few years but frequently sailed my father's Hobie 16 as a kid (I'm 35 now), and at that time read extensively on sailing, and took a windsurfing course when I was 12 which covered things like points of sail, theory, etc., so I had a pretty good background knowledge. Things like charts, required lights, buoys, etc., were new to me and I think the CYA course covered them well.

We took the course because we'd gotten the Albacore dinghy and I wanted to brush up on my sailing skills. It was the only course offered locally that was available on the weekends. Last fall I bought a 22' trailerable keelboat (a DS22) and am hoping to spend as much time as possible with it exploring Georgian Bay, once it's fixed up, that is.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook