SailNet Community - View Single Post - Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011
Abbott 22

knotted is on a distinguished road
bljones Thanks for the pointer re Fanshawe vs Wildwood - stumps aren't my favourite thing to knock against! WSC doesn't seem to want my boat (too big, too dangerous), so it might just be Fanshawe! The feedback on the Port Dover PBS course is appreciated. Too many sailing club courses seem to be targeted at getting one through White Sail... and over the entire summer.

I really enjoyed the Chronicles, btw! That alone would get me mooring there, if it were closer.

Quote:
I think he should get his butt in gear and get himself a slip somewhere in Port Stanley and sail on a proper sized lake.
Yeah, you would say that, Jeff!

but ... distance is/will be a factor as I plan to sail as often as possible - and that could mean daily! So I expect it will be a proper sized lake within a year or so, once I get my 'sea legs' and confidence in my skills and boat. Port Stanley isn't too far from here, but from Stratford, Grand Bend or Bayfield is as close or closer than the Port, and has clean water (I lived on a Lake Ontario beach front many years ago, and 'loved' the smell of the decaying algae bloom... not to mention the dead salmon - Oh, did I mention them? All quite on a par with Lake Nipissing's malodorous shadfly bloom )

If the Blue Mountains weren't quite so far away, I'd sail on Georgian Bay without a seconds' thought - that is a beautiful area. Grand Bend to Tobermory has some nice areas, bays and little harbours, but I think Georgian Bay is it!

Quote:
"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones

Last edited by knotted; 03-22-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook