SailNet Community - View Single Post - Relocating to north to Maine ... looking at a new jib
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Wow, I suppose I was a bit presumptuous, but the casual reference to "in a pinch" and "storm sail" threw me off.

I've sailed in Maine and all along coastal southeastern New England on my 35' masthead sloop. I have several genoas (including a laminate) and mains of different weight. It would appear that your current sail inventory is appropriate for weekend cruising in New England. I would clearly separate coastal sailing from offshore sailing, however, and--perhaps incorrectly--assumed you were not making that distinction.

When I made my delivery trip to New England, I went offshore for almost half of the 1700 mile trip and carried a set of real storm sails made for my boat. I also had an extra set of stays (inner forestay and running back stays) attached by my second set of spreaders to handle the extra loads.

It appeared that you might not have considered the potential for a dismasting due to sail loads in storm conditions. I misinterpreted this omission as an indicator that you might need to consider other factors than the headsail. Obviously that was a real stretch on my part. I should have stayed off the soap box.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook