SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cutlass bearing replacment
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I can't help myself. Can anyone tell me if 12 hours of labor sounds right to remove and replace a cutlass bearing with a hydraulic press (ie shaft did not have to be removed) and remove, clean and replace the max-prop? I was told that the cutlass bearing needed two holes tapped in it for the hold down screws.
If your boat is like mine with a prop strut and spade rudder behind, 12 hours is about 3 times the time it took me to do similar work by myself in a rain storm. Seriously, using a "Strut-Pro" tool, I removed the prop, pressed out the old bearing (isn't it really a bushing?), pressed in the new bearing/bushing, cleaned the prop and reinstalled it, cleaned the prop shaft and replaced the zincs in about 4 hours working alone, under the boat in pouring rain. No doubt a Max Prop is more difficult to remove than my fixed prop, but it couldn't take that much longer.

As far as tapping holes for hold down screws I can't see why they'd be needed if the manufacturer designed the strut/bearing for a press in fit. My boat didn't have set screws though some boats apparently do. At any rate, it should only take a few minutes to drill and tap 2 holes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook