SailNet Community - View Single Post - Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Abbott 22
Thanks, Indigo, I lived just outside that area long ago!

It seems that a course or two goes a long way towards helping one succeed through a steep learning curve - steep because it's on a boat affected by wind, sea and weather, with sensory overload of input data to get things going right...

From everything I've seen here, a course followed by lots of practice builds confidence and skills in the fastest way possible.
The skills that I picked up were instrumental in giving me the confidence to immediately jump into small boat ownership as a single-handing sailor
Not quite 'just do it' but very close, and quicker and a whole lot safer.

You're right about the importance of instructor skills, and perhaps we sailors should set up a page similar to 'Rate My Professor'; it would certainly be a very useful aid to course selection. Feedback is most valuable - I always ask my Clients for it. Peter is still listed on the link you posted, he lives in Fenwick.

Thanks for your comments.

"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome