SailNet Community - View Single Post - Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011
Abbott 22

knotted is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Indigo, I lived just outside that area long ago!

It seems that a course or two goes a long way towards helping one succeed through a steep learning curve - steep because it's on a boat affected by wind, sea and weather, with sensory overload of input data to get things going right...

From everything I've seen here, a course followed by lots of practice builds confidence and skills in the fastest way possible.
Quote:
The skills that I picked up were instrumental in giving me the confidence to immediately jump into small boat ownership as a single-handing sailor
Not quite 'just do it' but very close, and quicker and a whole lot safer.

You're right about the importance of instructor skills, and perhaps we sailors should set up a page similar to 'Rate My Professor'; it would certainly be a very useful aid to course selection. Feedback is most valuable - I always ask my Clients for it. Peter is still listed on the link you posted, he lives in Fenwick.

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook