SailNet Community - View Single Post - O'day Tempest keel / hull joint
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011
S/V Double Take

upei1 is on a distinguished road
O'day Tempest keel / hull joint

Hello everyone! I am sure that we are all chomping at the bit to get our boats back in the water. I have 2 questions regarding the hull keel connection on my sailboat. The boat is a 1965 O'day Tempest with a 1250# CAST IRON keel. i stress cast iron, because they changed to lead later on.

The first question is: There is a gap between the hull and keel, no more than an 1/8 th of an inch and it doesn't appear to run the length of the keel /hull connection. I am more interested in getting her in the water and getting as much sailing time out of it this summer. I have heard that a good solution is to clean out the crack and use Marinetek epoxy, and then use a good grade coat of bottom paint on it. Any Yea's or Nays on this?

Question 2: If I were to dig a little deeper and remove all the paint from the keel and fair it, what would be used to seal the keel? Would I have to use a ferrous metal primer, or would the fairing compound adhere sufficiently to the keel without it?

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. I don't know if the picture will really show the crack due to the size restrictions. If you want a better look, PM me with an email address and i will send you a better version.

Regards,
Charllie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hullkeeljoint portsideaft.jpg (93.7 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook