I took 2 weeks off of work with the weather turning nice to get all of the maintenance done on our new to us p26. We bought the boat in OCT of last year and it has been too cold to bottom paint
since then so this is the first chance I have had to do any real work. We dropped the mast at haul out and I was able to replace the lights
, (both of which were shot) and the halyards. I spliced the rope to the wire halyards myself. It took 2 hours a piece because I am a rank newbie but in the end they looked very professional.
When we pulled her there was a coating of barnacles a full 2" thick all over the bottom of the boat. The bodies came off quickly but we spent 3 days scraping the little feet off. Then 2 days of sanding and finally paint
. The yard noticed some separation in the keel as we were scraping so I replaced and re potted all of the keel bolts with stainless. I plugged the holes and faired the joint with west system. Finally we replaced the rudder with a new DR marine unit, renamed her Janna's Dance and launched yesterday.
She moves very easily through the water. When I brought her over from Seaford it took all the motor would do to get 2 knots. Now, at idle I am moving to fast to dock by myself. I can't wait to get under sail. The weather that was so cooperative during my vacation has decided that I have to wait for our first sail. I guess I will spend my time replacing the rest of the running rigging
and dreaming of sunny days.