SailNet Community - View Single Post - Handicapping
Thread: Handicapping
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Something that may work well for you is to try Time on Time scoring rather than Time on Distance. Many feel this is a more eqitable way to score races that have a large descrepency in PHRF ratings.

Creating a skipper handicap really takes away from the whole point of sailboat racing. It was designed to try and equalize the boats and make it crew vs crew. I am not a golfer but I always thought handicaps were for bad golfers who wanted to beat good golfers. Kinda like what they teach in school these days. No losers, everyone is a winner if they made an effort.

Maybe this guy really is that good and deserves to win. I know in our club we have had a few of those. I was one for a season a few years back. But we all have supper together after the races and we share information so some of the sailors can learn from the better ones. Before I knew it, one of the newer guys was beating me consistently the following season.

Another solution is to divide into two classes; pro vs newbe.

What are the margins like? If he consistently wins by many minutes fine, but if he consistenly wins by seconds than that should be a challenge to the other crews.

I know that at our club, if we tried to equalize the skippers, we would lose more boats than if we had a consistent winner.

I know when I was not as good a racer, I always saw it as a challenge to beat the guy who always won. When I finally did, there was no looking back. It was a sweet moment and from that point forward he never beat us again. It was a wonderfull race. We had the same rating and virtually the same boat(Ericson 34 vs Ericson 35). It was a tacking dual up the channel finishing at the big floating resturant where we had people watching. The finish came down to a tacking dual and we beat them across the line by 3 seconds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook