SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstonevo View Post
That's easy: I dis-masted a $42000 rig by not ensuring the crew knew how to use a navtec hydraulic system and by not double-checking the yard's initial mast stepping.
It turns out, all this was made possible by the commissioning yard clevis-pinning, but not cotter/ring pinning and taping the fore-stay at the masthead. More to the point... I never checked the yard's work. I suffered the consequences. I never pursued damages against the yard as I felt a good captain would have done his due-diligence by going aloft, checking the rigging as a multi-day cruise was lined-up immediately after seasonal launch.
As a Skipper, taking responsibility is certainly noble, and checking the yards work is the prudent thing to do. However, I think you should have made the yard accountable for their mistake (if it was in fact, the cause of the failure). It would encourage the yard not to make the same mistake again. Not every boat owner has the skills to check the yards work, which may be why they turned the boat over to "professionals" in the first place. If the boat was insured, I'm surprised the insurance company didn't go after the yard for compensation.

Last edited by L124C; 03-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook