Is my multimeter dying?
I bought a digital multimeter about three years ago and have been using it fairly frequently. Sometimes I forget to turn it off, and after a few minutes it beeps to remind me (or maybe turns off on its own, don't quite remember).
The other day I was using the ohmmeter feature and noticed that the reading would increase after the initial reading, even if the probes weren't moving at all on the surface.
If I just touch the probes together, the reading is 00.0 and then immediately starts to increase, and then stops after about four or five seconds. Where it stops is somewhat variable; before I started writing this post it would stop at 1.4 ohms, then just now it stopped at 3.9 ohms, and then 2.8 ohms.
I'm guessing this means that the internal battery is dying, and so can't handle a load. Does that make sense?
I suppose I could remove the battery and test it with another voltmeter :P
s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
s/v Essorant - 1972 Catalina 27