SailNet Community - View Single Post - Non Resident Living and Sailing in the US
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011
Margarita Club Member

Heliox is on a distinguished road
Non Resident Living and Sailing in the US

Hi all
First post, so some background info about me - deep sea diver by profession, frequent holidayer in the good ol' USA (non resident).

I was looking at maybe doing my sailing classes in the US - possibly Maryland this summer with the intention of buying a boat in the US and keeping it parked here. I work a month on/month off rota the year round, so looking at coming down to the US for atleast 4 - 5 months of the year duroing my month off, and doing the whole liveaboard/cruising thing.

Questions are:

1.) Can I (as a non-resident) register the boat in either Florida or Texas, if so tax-wise which is the better option?

2.) Is is possible for a non-resident with no credit history in the USA to get full insurance cover for a boat (38' to 42')?

3.) Whilst I might have the resources to buy a boat outright, in the eventuality I need finance for say 50% of the boat, does anyone (especially boat vendors/dealers) know how easy that might be to get if I can provide full documentation from a recognised bank about my financial position? Once again - no credit history in the US.

4.) Lastly, would it be advisable to keep the boat in a marina up north (Annapolis) from June to October and then down to Florida the rest of the year? Would I end up paying tax in both places?

Thanks in advance guys, a lot of questions i know, but I promise to return the favour someday to other newbies in this great community when i get a few nm's under my yet-to-be-bought hull....

Finally - a salute to all the members and participants of this community, I am truely impressed by the effort and time members have been putting into this forum, with their exceptional and invaluable advice.

cheers n beers
Heliox