SailNet Community - View Single Post - SmartPilot X-5 Wheel Drive Unit "Upgrades"?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011

scraph is on a distinguished road
SmartPilot X-5 Wheel Drive Unit "Upgrades"?

I'm guessing there are a handful of other engineers on this site, at least. I'm about to get my hands on the Raymarine X-5 SmartPilot Wheel autopilot setup. I read post after post of the problems with these units (which I'm assuming is similar to restaurant reviews ... you only hear from those disatisfied). I understand that they aren't the strongest devices on the planet ... and below-deck autopilot, blah, blah, blah. Has anyone, if only for the sake of challenge, tore into these drive units with component upgrades in mind? Whenever I hear "weak units" in any instance I begin to look for my own solutions. I hear about "cheap plastics parts" always failing in these ... has no one fabricated their own components out of stronger materials?

I have no desire to hear grunting about below-decks autopilots or cries of "it's not worth it" because to some, myself included, tackling engineering problems are worth their own weight. Let me hear what any of you, if any, have accomplished in this vein.