SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
Yes, these are separate apps. The Weather Underground looks like an app but is just a link to their website for my local marine forecast. Navionics and The anchor alarm don't need the internet to operate. I've tried InavX also but prefer Navionics. I believe one needs the 3G devices for GPS functionality but I think they make an external GPS antenna also.
Thanks. There is a remote bluetooth GPS device for the Ipad, so no cables. Even with the 3G unit, I suspect it won't connect with the satellites when down below. If I'm right, one will need the remote GPS receiver to get the anchor alarm to work when below.

I did order the 3G unit so I could have that internet access, when no wi-fi is available. However, it seems one could save the extra cost of the Ipad and invest it in the remote GPS if that was the sole reason for wanting it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook