SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stylish and effective sailing hat

19K views 70 replies 42 participants last post by  afrinus 
#1 ·
As a guy of a certain age where weight loss is accomplished when the dermatologist cuts off a few pounds and says stay out of the sun, I need something more than my ball cap and less than a sombrero for comfort and any hope of living a couple extra years.
Suggestions?
I lean to a panama (can roll it up and stash it) or a lightweight 2.5 or 3 inch brim fedora. Porkpies have been taken over be fashionable hipsters, damn them.
I already have reading glasses on a string surgically implanted to my neck. I have tried a clip from that string to my hat without injury or loss of hat, but a hat with it's own string would be too much.
Bogie had some great hats, and a sweat stained band is not a deal breaker ( but I am single), but I seem to recall he had some kind of yacht captain chapeau in "The African Queen" and that will not fly.

#66 ·
Tilley hats are guaranteed too .... I have a T4 in the natural color..... had it long enough and washed it enough that the side of the brim frayed. I sent it to Tilley and they sent me a new one for free and also sent the old one back so I can use it as my "work" hat. Only problem is that they sent a khaki colored one, telling me they no longer make the natural whitish ones. I immediately went online and found/bought 2 more Naturals ... at my age and with Tilley's endurance, I have enough for the rest of my life

#69 ·
A stylish and effective hat, eh? To my eyes the two qualities are just about mutually exclusive. I got one of these nicely discounted at a local boat show:

Amazon.com: Men's Outback Trading Company Leather Kodiak Hat: Clothing@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IndurhQ3L.@@AMEPARAM@@41IndurhQ3L

It is a bit pricey but but it is rugged, waterproof, crushable, and shades my whole head. It simply laughs at the abuse I put it through. I had the local cobbler put in a couple of small grommets and threaded a leather thong through it to keep it on my head. Works great, except with foulies. I switch to a ballcap then.

Regards,

Tom

#70 ·
I have a tilley and it was before I started or new about anything a sailboat. It is nice that the hat is a good match for the sailboat but it is the hat to have on or off the water. If you own a tilley you understand. They make all kinds pick a style and weight you like. They do float I have had to swim to get it back lol That is just my thought. Enjoy whatever hat you purchase. LOU452

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.