SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Discussion of Wooden Boats
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
One of the things I like about my Catalina 309,like a lot of modern boats, is there's not even any wooden trim. I can't imagine a bigger waste of time than sanding and varnishing a material that no longer has a practical place on a boat, other than the interior. And boy, do love my vinyl floor!

My Stratocaster guitar is made from wood. It gives the guitar much of it's tone. Pretty, too. But I keep my guitar inside, so the upkeep is zilch.

I'm a fairly good woodworker too. Furniture, sheds, a pole barn, lots of home remodeling. I know my mahogany from my poplar from my ash. But for me, sailing's about sailing, not fretting over whether the horizontal surfaces are ready for another coat of varnish. I had a wooden tiller on my holder 20...painted it. The guy that sold me the boat saw it and got mad?!?!

Oh, I forgot. Modern boats use end grain balsa to stiffen their decks. Of course, when you buy a used boat make sure you inspect carefully for soft spots in the deck.

So, make my boat outta glass. And keep the wood inside to a minimum. Yeah, I can appreciate the beauty of a mahogany interior, but what's up with that anyway? Why do we equate a quality interior with non-stop wood? I'll take fiberglass and formica, and some fabrics inside and enjoy the savings.

Remember, this is just my opinion and no dolphins were harmed in the making of this reply.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook