SailNet Community - View Single Post - east end moorings and launch/water taxi?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
No launch service in Montauk or moorings. They are also very strict about private mooring permits, which are fairly cheap for residents and $1500 for non-residents. I understand tickets/fines are a source of revenue for them. There are also 5 or 6 different policing forces (USCG, state police, local police, DNR, etc.) so the police outnumber the number of non-docked boats that have people on them. They are very sensitive about head discharges and frequently do onboard inspections. One of the marine policemen has an oyster farm in the lake, so he's got a strong personal interest since there is not a lot of water flow to clean out the lake. (There is a free pump-out boat that comes to you, channel 68 IIRC.) The poplice will also pull you over for making a wake. I witnessed a marine policeman give a ticket to a man driving a dinghy for making a wake -- the dinghy was going 3 or 4 knots, it was not up on plane. I was amazed. (The policeman was giving me a ticket at the same time, too.)

I don't think you need a mooring permit if you are just visiting for a couple days. Or you could come raft-up with us for a night. There are also some expensive places to dock.

We squeak into the lake with our 6 foot draft although we watch the depth gauge closely and it seemes we only have a few inches to spare sometimes. The harbor entrance has some shoaling issues and they recently put up a new set of channel markers on the west side of the entrance. Not sure what that means yet, since I saw it by car.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook