SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Rigging?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
As spring approaches i'm getting more prepared for rigging our boat.

Had some questions about running rigging and whether there are some good books on design and basic setup. I've been restoring our old O'day 23' pop top and have never sailed her so I don't really have anything to go by when re-rigging her. Everything was tattered and or gone so i'll be doing it from scratch.

It's just a weekend sailer on the lakes so i'm not looking for anything really salty and stout. Is there alternatives to halyards and lines as far as sourcing from a hardware store/online vs. buying the expensive stuff? What have you folks done to just get out sailing? The rigging only needs to last the summer to get a feel for the boat. Then we'll know how we want to finish her and fit her out completely.

I'm really interested in something that will explain rigging and show some basic examples of similarly rigged boats like our 23 footer... Is there anything out there for this?

Any comments and suggestions are really appreciated!
O'Day 23 manual and other rigging information is available here - SailboatOwners.com - 23

Even in light winds, the line loads generated by the sails exceeds the breaking strength of any rope you will get in a home improvement or hardware store. I'm afraid you'll have to get real line made for boating.

The heaviest line on your boat is 3/8 for the genoa sheets. The rest looks like they're 5/16 and under. You'll likely be able to rig the whole boat for less than it cost me for one spinnaker halyard and two spinnaker sheets.

Welcome to sailing!
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook