SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reality check
Thread: Reality check
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011

pistolen08 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Reality check

Hey everyone! I've been lurking here for a few years and I figured it was about time for a reality check as I find myself getting more and more enticed by the liveaboard lifestyle.

I've been sailing since I was a kid and absolutely love traveling. I'm 21 now, going into my 4th year of Uni. I'm doing a visiting researcher/study abroad program in Japan and will be here through the end of 2011. After that I'll be returning to Florida for a few more classes and then graduating. I really like the idea of living aboard and having the complete freedom to travel and would like to do this before I get tied down in a serious job.

I have 30k in savings from working through college and have been looking at prospective boats on yachtworld to see what's available. I think something in the 8-10m (28-32ft) range and around 10k best suits my needs. I'd be buying during the off-peak season with lots of haggling. The O'day strikes me as a good prospective, but I am slightly concerned over its blue water seaworthiness. Are boats in this size category suitable for Atlantic/Pacific crossings? I'd be starting off in the Gulf/Caribbean for a while, but eventually want to make my way over to Europe and Asia (and anywhere else I might get a job offer). I'm an engineer, so I'm not too worried about fixing up and making improvements to the boat as long as it has a solid hull. What are some other boats I should be looking at?

As far as my budget goes, after allocating for the initial boat cost and upgrades I'm planning for ~$1000/month of expenses with an additional emergency reserve fund. I'm going to try and do a rotation work cycle where I work for 3 months, take 3 months off etc.. so I should have effectively a zero net income for however long I decide to do this.

I often read on these forums that you guys wish you had started doing this at a younger age and I'm trying to take that advice

Thank you all for the help and let me know if you need any more information!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook