SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF antenna install on Quickstep 24
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011

dgordon is on a distinguished road
VHF antenna install on Quickstep 24

Hi,
I'm interested in installing a VHF antenna onto the top of my mast, thus requiring me to run the cable through the deck step, then into the cabin bulkhead and bla, bla, bla. For those familiar the Quickstep, the anchor light wire is already run through the step and (I assume sealed with a silicon sealant of some sort at the factory), then into the bulkhead and run back to the panel. My question is basic... Has anyone run wire (of any sort) through the step on a Quickstep.
Ideally, I'd like to run the antenna cable along the anchor light wire, but I'm not sure... A) Whether the existing hole is wide enough at the step for the cable (without pulling out the factory sealant, which doesn't leak and MIGHT be best left alone). B) How the anchor wire is run through the bulkhead (ie: is it feasible to run another fatter cable through the existing channel given the limited access to the inside of the bulkhead. C) What is reinforcing the mast inside the bulkhead under the step (there seems to be a 1' square block which would make it difficult to simple drop a cable through the step into the bulkhead, but I can't be certain).
Alternatively, I could drill a second hole at an angle (facing down and back) through the step into a section of the bulkhead that isn't reinforced. But, without knowing what is reinforcing the mast, I'm hesitant to start drilling.
Finally, I have certainly thought about simply running the whip off the transom, but it would be one more thing cluttering up an already crowed space. Also, the advantages of installing a VHF with a whip off the back are largely negated with a whip off the back. At that point, I might as well just stick to a hand held.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook