SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Excalibur 26
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 03-31-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
I was able to successfully move the Excalibur last week. The original plan was to go down to Chula Vista on a Thursday morning, spend the day prepping the boat and then leave early Friday morning. California has received more than average rainfall this winter and several systems were supposed to move through over the course of a week. A strong system moved through at the beginning of the week and another strong one was supposed to move through the following weekend, so the Thursday, Friday, Saturday plans wouldn't work out.

it did look, however, like I could sail all day to Oceanside on Wednesday before a small storm moved onto the coast, and then leave early Thursday morning after the small storm moved through, and before the next one came through on Friday.

So, I closely watched as the weather forecasts juggled clear and wet days. On Monday evening, my Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday plan looked like it would work and I drove my truck down to Chula Vista on Tuesday morning and met a diver at noon for a hull cleaning and last minute inspection.

Ray Collins with Your Personal Dive Service really saved my bacon. Normally he would have preferred to wait longer after a rain to get in the water and clean a hull, but he agreed to get in and take care of my boat because he knew my window to leave was tight. I spent the rest of the day cleaning the cabin and all of the cushions and placing everything I wouldn't need, including the old engine, in the back of my truck. I installed the Tohatsu 6 hp motor in the well and rigged up lashing lines for the tiller and outboard in case they were needed. In addition, I found a jib sheet that was partially torn, so I removed the existing sheets and installed a new set.

On Tuesday night I got everything together and attempted to sleep in the dinette bunk. The odd sounds of the marina and the anticipation of the trip the next day left me awake most of the night. I did manage to get an hour or two of sleep and got up at 0500, moved my truck, grabbed a quick shower in the marina, drank an instant breakfast drink and set up the jib on the bow and cast off as the sun was coming up.

Leaving on Friday morning would have put me out about the peak of high tide and allowed me to ride the tide out of San Diego Harbor. Leaving on Wednesday put me out of the marina just past the peak of low tide and forced me to push through the incoming tide all the way out of San Diego Harbor.
tdlpps is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome