SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Excalibur 26
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011

tdlpps is on a distinguished road
The Tohatsu 6hp long shaft outboard

The motor was a good choice for the boat, but not a good choice for the trip. A single cylinder four stroke should be used for short periods of time to get the boat into and out of the slip. It protested every minute at full throttle and left a ringing in my ears if I kept if there for a long period of time. On the other hand, I never felt severely under-powered with this motor and the sail-pro propeller. I would not have been able to have easily lifted a 9.8 horse out of the well several times in a day and the size of the leg of the larger engine will definitely cause more drag when under canvas alone with the engine in the well.

At 65% throttle it is relaxed and quiet and relatively smooth and gave me an honest 4 - 5 knots. I covered approximately 70 miles over the water in two days. I ran the engine a total of fourteen hours and burned exactly eight gallons of gas. An average of nine miles per gallon and five miles per hour over the course of the trip is respectable.

When I got the engine home I checked the amount of oil in the engine while I changed it. I burned almost no oil and the color of the oil was still acceptably clean at the fourteen hour mark. The longer it ran, the smoother it ran. The extra long shaft would probably have cleared the rudder, would probably have been quieter, but would have also caused more drag.

The only time this prop even hinted at coming out of the water was when it was heeled way over and turning--a situation I probably won't be in again.

I am still not satisfied with the steering friction and hope to find a way to lock it in the straight ahead position rather than just screwing down the tension screw.

It was a good choice and I am confident it will serve me well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook