SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norway - Clearance for US vessel?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
What a beautiful country, a visit we'll never forget nor regret, and luckily we had nearly all sunny days.
SV Footprint: Norway

As for the official side of things, it all seemed a bit new, and everyone we dealt with seemed uncertain of the requirements, and to treat our presence with a novel air. We applied to our local consulate which happened to be LA as we were on land in AZ at the time. I approached them first via email and was told I'd got the wrong department... after a bit of back and forth we determined I had got the right department, they just had never dealt with such a request before. EVERYONE was helpful, friendly and nice.

We were never returned a copy of the paperwork, but received an email saying all was OK (after I chased it up).

Arriving in Norway we found the local police station, waited for the right guy to finish his coffee and got a few stamps in our passports; again it felt like we were the first to ever do this as the process seemed quite novel to all involved.

Leaving Norway via Bergen was a bit more official; the police station there has a formal immigration area, and we found ourselves queuing for a couple of hours with a machine dispensed number among people presumably trying to live/work in Norway, while all we wanted was passport stamp to leave.

We were never once boarded, or checked for our paperwork. I'm sure the officials only knew we were there since we went out of our way to tell them. But we were there officially and legally and we had a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook