SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley idea.. a bit of input is hoped for
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody for the compliments. I'll be sure to keep updating as I go.

Good idea on the damaged pieces. When I was just coming out of high school I worked for the competition just when Home Depot was coming into the area. You've reminded me on how a whole piece would be marked right down because of some small crack or something.

OK, a quick update with more to follow shortly.

I've started working on the cupboard doors for the opening below the sink and stove:

I'm using mahogany given to me by a friend that had some "scraps" hanging around. I have enough to do the shelves behind the stove and sink too, very handy.

This is how they'll fit on to the front of the cabinet, you may be able to barely make out the lines of where I make my cuts for the opening:

Here is one that's just about finished (needs edge routering for a soft edge and putting together). The one on the left is the old one. I plan on making the newer ones slightly lighter in colour and the handle will be a routered bit on top rather than on the front like that. So you'll just put your finger tips in a basic 3/4" indentation for leverage to open the doors. Should work well and look clean:

I also cut open the front to give me a better idea of how big of an opening I'll have. I'm quite happy with it, gives me lots of space to put things in:

My next update will be putting this thing on the boat to see how it all fits and getting things cleaned and prepped for all the fun fiberglass work that I have...

Last edited by GraemeInCanada; 04-03-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook