SailNet Community - View Single Post - I-28 rudder stuffing box?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011

joelozzy is on a distinguished road
Islander 28,

The link to the Catalina 38 example of repairing a rudder tube w/grease zirks is broken. Apparently they've re-designed their websites and not re-directed old links. Oh well.

But could you, or anyone else that happened to view this link before it was broken, please provide a synopsis of the main points? Am interested as to why bearing grease shouldn't be used to lube the rudder shaft. Also, if there were any other specific points mentioned that are directly applicable to the Islander 28 rudder housing.

Ever since I pulled the rudder when on the hard in September of '09, there's been play in the shaft. Most likely this is due to the removal of a thin plastic sleeve that was broken in several pieces on the bottom end of the rudder shaft. Didn't replace with any material. Will look for some thin plastic next sheet that I can wrap around the end, or do the graphite repair as shown in the West System manual.

Any additional info from the Catalina 38 link that may be helpful, please feel free to share. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook