SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A 40 ft on trailer

11K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Sublime 
#1 ·
Hello
Spring is around the corner and I am looking for a 40 or 41 footer
Just a coastal cruiser but needs to be able to trail with a Durango
Looking at Beneteau / Catalina/ Hunter but all come with long keel

Maybe an Irwin 40 Citation with centerboard

Can you help ?

Thanks

#2 ·
Unfortunately, the boats that you are looking at will not work from a towing perspective. Here are a few things that you need to consider when towing:

Weight- The maximum towing capacity for a Durango is 7,400lbs for a 2wd one with only a driver. Realistically, it will probably be 6000lbs of which 2000 lbs goes to the trailer. A 4,000 lb boat is pretty small, I don't even know of any 30'ers that would meet this requirement. Even if you upgrade to a one ton dually you are unlikely to find something in the 40' range. You would probably need a medium duty truck and a CDL.

Height: The total height will be from the bottom of the keel to the highest point on the cabin/stanchions plus at least a foot for the trailer. Being much over 12' is pretty limiting.

Width: It depends on the road but much over 9' gets problematic. You can get wide load permits but they are expensive and inconvenient.

There are 2 ways to deal with this. First, you can look at a boat that is trailerable by a Durango/whatever vehicle you are willing to buy. The other option is to buy a boat that you can't tow and pay a professional hauler to move for you. You still need to make sure that it isn't too big for them.

#4 ·
That citation displaces almost 16k pounds, the trailer needed would be at least 8000 lbs which means a Gross vehicle weight of at least 24000 lbs.

A vehicle capable of pulling that is at least a f450. The max weight rating for towing on your durango is 8 to 10 k depending on your engine.

I tow my 27 foot bristol which including cradle is about 7200 lbs and the flatbed was about 7000 lbs and i was within a couple thousand of my maximum tow capacity of my 2500.

Also the beam is not legal as well.

If you are looking for a trailerable with the durango, you are really only going to be able to look at the 20 - 25 foot range.

#12 ·
Just make sure you have some nice salty teak brackets to hold it secure amidships, and keep the rubber off your decks - it'll be a pain to clean otherwise. Say - in addition to a little more weight, it'll also give you some more windage...you'll probably go faster 'downhill"?

#16 ·
Seems the original poster was fooling, but isn't the 32' Seaward trailerable by a one-ton pickup? The same F350 crew cab dually diesels that are launching 15 foot Bayliners, driven by guys looking at me like I'm crazy for launching a 17 foot boat with a six-cylinder station wagon.

#17 ·
The best trailerable boat that I've seen is one that I used to own. It was a Harstad 31 Motorsailer.

She was a 31 foot, center cockpit, ketch-rigged sailboat with an eight-foot beam to keep her legal on the roadways. She weighed in at 8000 pounds and originally came with a trailer.

Although Crealock designed her, I imagine that he was trying to pack too many features into this small a package. She had a lot of pluses, but she also had her down sides.

She was not a good sailing boat unless you ran the diesel most of the time. She was a bit narrow, but had 6' 7" of headroom throughout. Although she was center-cockpit, the aft cabin was separated by the engine room. It was roomy, with two bunks and storage, but the separation was a problem.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

#20 ·
Assuming it is NOT an April fools post,,,,,,, then again, with thefrencha only having 5 posts since 2003.....one never knows, then again, the poster could be an unknown sock puppet.......but lets get back to being serious instead of not........

I believe Bob Perry designed a "Container boat" a few years back, I believe that boat would qualify, as IIRC it was 8-8;4" so legal from with width stand point. Weight wise, do not remember, could be a bit heavy for a light duty SUV. a 25 series SUV or other 8 lug rig with a larger motor, should not be an issue........bridge height wise with the keel on could also be a potential issue.........

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.