SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sinking
Thread: Sinking
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Sinking

So lets say you are on your way back from Bermuda to the states. You are about half way and about 300 miles from land in any direction.
The weather is clear a perfect 20 knots and you are making great time.
A crew member decides to go below for a soda and reports that their is 6" of water above the sole.
The first thing you do is check the taste of the water and it is salt water.

What would you do and in what order?
As an alternate lets say you heard a large bang on the hull and noticed the water a few minutes later. How would this changed situation affect your actions?
Another alternative would be the loud bang during a gale with about 35 to 50 knots.
How about the same to issues above but in the middle of long island sound about 10 miles from land?

What I'm really looking for is when is the appropriate time to call for help. The reason I am looking for comments is that I suspect different captains may have different points of view that I would like to hear.
1. Sometimes boats go down in seconds just barely time to put out a mayday.
2. Sometimes something easily repairable has happened like a speedo that has popped out and just has to be pushed back in.
3. Weather makes a big difference.
4. Distance out makes a big difference.
5. It is hard to report your situation if you haven't checked out what the situation is.
6. Number of people aboard and skills makes a huge difference.
7. If you spend too long assessing the situation or attempting a repair you may loose your battery and be stuck with hand-held vhf with its very short range.

I'm interested in how experienced captains make their decisions and even more interesting if you have any experience to tell and if you would have done something differently.

Last edited by davidpm; 04-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook