SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kent Narrows Shoaling
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Kent Narrows Shoaling

Yesterday April 3rd around 4 pm(2 hours before high tide) I tried going north from Piney Narrows Marina out to the Chester River with a 5'8"draft. I had made that trip for the past couple of years with very few problems and even 3 weeks earlier had taken the boat out for the start of the season around mid tide just touching the bottom only a few times. This time I did find the bottom and if it wasn't for a nice couple in a large power boat we would probably be there still since even at high tide it took around an hour to get us moving. In the past I've always favored the green marks since there is shoaling around the red; however, this time I found the bottom between markers 5 and 3 on the green side. Another sailboat was aground between 1 and 3 and he was able to free himself and as he came south and passed us(still aground) he said to favor the red. Now I'm really uncertain as to what to do since the green side has always worked in the past. We did not continue out the channel but returned to the marina after the power boat helped us. Thanks! One other note is that we touched bottom mid channel between 9 and 5 going out but was able to plow though that.

Another note is that I tried calling tow boat who is located there at Piney Narrows marina, but no answer. It was after 5pm and I was using the hand held so the range was not much, but you would think that being within range of the marina that there would be communication. The power boat came to our rescue before I got on the other fix mount VHF.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook