SailNet Community - View Single Post - Building a cat using pontoon floats
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011

sailorjerrytoo is on a distinguished road
Building a cat using pontoon floats

I have a 26' C& C Yacht and also an old 22' Macgregor (that has little value and I have put too much into it!!). I would like to have a cat, but I sail on a large lake (Lake Kerr, which strattles the NC and Virginia border . . . 50,000 acres), and am not interested in living quarters on the boat. I just want something that has a flat deck for people to sit on (no furniture) and has sails. Maybe a small 10hp motor.

I have read a few articles about this, and most of what I have heard is the pontoon boat will not handle the downward stress of the mast and they are not wide enough to keep from getting knocked down.

I plan on basically only using the floats and designing a craft that has a width of 60% the length (probably 24' by 15') Using a solid beam for the mast with aft to stern (about 4 feet each direction) suport to assist in spreading the load. I also would build a "dolphin striker" under the mast to help distribute the load.

I probably would start with an adjustable dagger board and a twin rudder system to allow the small motor to stay on center line.

I plan on making the craft so it will fold in a gull wing formation to trailer.

Is there any reason that this would not work? At lest in up to moderate winds, say pu to 20 knots on a lake.

Thanks,

Jerry
Zebulon, NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook