Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Corpus Christi, Tx
Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Circle Tour Gulf of Mexico
I have been thinking about circumnavigating the Gulf of Mexico and have some questions that some of you might be able to help me with. Assume start point is Port Aransas, Tx. I sail a Pearson 28, 5' draft, 45' air draft. Plain and simple equipment. Will need some time in marinas and some time on the hook. I will probably have to do it solo.
1. It seems the rotation should be clock wise. Is that correct?
2. It seems the season should be late October to June, or is that too early/late?
3. Can it be done allowing for plenty of lay-over days in 200 or so days? (I'm in my late 60s and need what seems to me an inordinate amount of rest after a big energy exertion)
4. What are the must see ports/islands/bays/rivers?
5. What are the must avoid places?
6. What part of the ICW is fun and sailable?
7. What part of the ICW is best avoided?
8. What about sailing from Key West/Dry Totugas to Cuba? (In terms of routes and sea conditions, not the politics)
9. If time allows, is Belize worth it?
10. Has anyone done this and put it in a blog somewhere?
I will appreciate any input you have.