SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I be looking at a 31 or a 33 Hunter?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011

swiftibis is on a distinguished road
I bought a 1984 H31 and have lived on it for 3 1/2 years, and my wife with me the past year. This is a decent little boat with much more storage than some of the more racy boats its size. It's a very light boat with lots of beam and gets uncomfortable fast as it gets nasty. I agree with the reefing early aspect. I installed an inner forestay for a storm jib, works well and extends my sailing capability into the really nasty that this boat was not designed for. The Yanmar 2GMF 13hp is underpowered, and I added a 3 blade prop that decreased vibes and increased fuel efficiency and speed. A bad thing is hunter's way of running the chainplate rods down to a piece of L-iron affixed to the inner liner. This caused a pucker on the port side of my boat, probably won't sink it but no good. The hunter rep said it's a really bad thing but I think the hulls are just thin. Also, if you have to re-rig a B+R get ready to pull out your wallet. That rig has so many end fittings that it's quite costly to re-rig. I did mine in 2007 all myself and still cost me 1500. The hunter rep quoted me 4k. Hunter puts carpet over all bare fiberglass surfaces, super nasty in the v-berth. Rip it out, apply form insulation and face with either a nice plastic sheet or pretty wood. The boat sails well, and it's fun to pop the chute for downwind runs. It's in the yard now and there are about 100 dime-sized blisters after not being painted for 5 or 6 years, and that aint bad! I'm going to let em ride. The cockpit is tight due to the large wheel, very annoying. I traded for a 6" diameter smaller wheel and eased the problem. The bimini/dodger is a round-bow type and useless for sailing in real rain, unless you sit in the companionway and steer via autopilot buttons. If you buy a boat this age, replace all the hoses or else your boat might sink.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook