SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reasons NOT to go Cruising
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Success story

We plan on departing in 14 months on the Ha Ha.
We have been outfitting our new old boat for 2 years.
We had a Catalina 30 for 5 years.

It all started for us when I went sailing with a work buddy. Then decide to take sailing lessions. I loved it. I then thought I was real good after Sabot, Holder and cataermaeran lessions. I took my wife out one winter after noon and turtled the holder. She does not swim well or see well without glases. I will not get into all the gory details.

I was looking for a retirement plan. Not having a lot of money the sailing dream seems the way to go. I had worked on tugs and in the merchant marine in Boston as a young man so am familiar with commercial boating. Not so for my wife.
It took a year to convince her to go sailing again. She sugested this time we took keel boat sailing lessons together. It was a great idea for lots of reasons.

Next I sold the Harley and bought the Catalina 30. Another mistake. I did not counsel with her. For the first year the boat sailed us. My wife hung in there. I read all the books, magazines etc I could on what not to do to get her to come along. It paied off.
Example:
Don NOT make it like camping!
NO yelling!
Have a nice toilet ! May seems strange to some but it is important to my wife.
Curtin’s for privacy etc ect. Some things I do admit I never thought mattered!
We have done this and much more.
For some years we had some hard times with the decision to retire (her to quit her job) and then to retire on a boat. My wife is 12 years younger than me and was worried what would happen to her if I crooked? What about if she needed to return to the work place, what about her SS etc. We eventually worked theses out. Went to a counselor (work benefit) etc.

Next was deciding to sell the Catalina 30 and get a bigger boat. We together searched and decide on a boat, took a couple of years . When we found the boat we liked we talked about it and then we bought it. That was what I should have done before.
It took a while but it has worked out.
We were taking the other day and she mentioned that we should move onto the boat!. We are and at the end of this month. Giving everthing in our little house to our doughter, good timeing as she is moving from roomates to her own appartment.

To keep the social fabric we will cruise Central America Pacific side no further than Ecuador. Our daughter lives in CA as we do. We will not be too far for a flight to meet each other. My wife has never lived out side California.
I mentioned about my wife being a reluctant cruiser and she said “Not any more ”!
So for us it was the whole retirement issue, and the complete change of life issue and it has not been easy but it has worked out and we are together and happy.
My wife is currently taking Spanish classes at SDSU and so I am also learning some Spanish defcto

We decide we wanted a nice safe and comfortable boat for costal cursing . We chose a boat that does not require much climbing around. Has easy access from the stern from the dingy. Three steps to the salon. We chose this instead of a wraparound queen bed on a CC. We are re-upholstering it, have re-powered it, installed a house hold size Vacuflush toilet, nice Kolar shower equipment, new anchor windlass and bow rollers etc. All the work we have done together. No microwave no oil lamps (LED’s) and we chose a 1978 36’ Islander Freeport sail boat.

For instance we had a 50 hp Perkins that ran with 1000 hours on it. We chose to repower and it took a lot of thought. But for us, me at 64, I need to be think of being 70 and keeping us as a couple. I do not want to be chasing parts another country. We replaced everything in the engine room. If I was 30-40 years old maybe we would have gone with the Perkins. Just another choice.
So I know there are the toilet wars and anchor wars and many other but for us this is what is working.
We are lucky that we do have some choices and can afford some of them. That is part of the reason for the 36’ boat.
Hope this helps someone as they sure helped me with the tips on how to treat your mate on a boat, understand their fears, communicate etc. Also my wife is as good as me at sail trim, taking the helm etc. I am also taking over the cooking on the boat as she likes some “blue” jobs and I like cooking a “pink” job. We now have no color codes for these
This is a success story even if for some reason we never leave the dock!
We love each other and are happy and fairley healthy, and ask for no more.
Thanks for listing,
Chip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook