SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where did you put solar panels?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
We ended up using the Magma clamps but .. The cheap rail clamps we bought from Whitworths

are quite adequate for holding the panels in place but they don't have the strength to stop the panels from moving. We have two panels mounted on twin rails over the bimini so eight clamps. Four of these are the cheapies, the other four Magma. in the light of day it is apparent that we could have gone with six of the cheapies and just two of the Magma as a final clampdown. Thus far it all seems to work well. If we want to change angle of the panels we can loosen the Magmas as required.
Ultimately the size of panels will determine how much 'clamp' you need. We have two by 80w.

That said our problem now is that the our bimini frame mounts onto the pushpit, it is not anchored to the deck. With the panels up top it now has a bit of sideways movement. I seriously doubt it will fail, but the 'wobble' is a bit off putting.Somehow I am going to need to add a couple more uprights anchored down to the deck or perhaps simply a couple of horizontal angled bars.

We still need to tidy up the wiring and have the new canvas refitted but I'll post some pics when complete.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook