SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cleaning Dodger
Thread: Cleaning Dodger
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
Just to be clear, I assume there is glass on your dodger? That shouldn't be scrubbed with anything, especially if it is strataglass -Minnewasaka
When my wife made our dodger/ bimini and side panels she sewed in Stratglass. It is great, very clear and almost like a real glass window. It does however take a little extra care. I am sure what Minnewaska was saying here was clean your glass in a special manner especially if it is Strataslass. use of the special cleaner, wax, SOFT COTTON cloths and lots of water are importatnt. And then the polishing really keeps it looking new all the time. Different quality glasses use diferent products. Best advice I can give is wash you windows with water as much as possible and cover when not in use. Especially the dodger

Below are the instructions from IMAR and Strataglass as how to clean and polish it

Flush thoroughly to cool the surface and rinse away environmental abrasives. Wash with IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate, or other equally gentle and high quality soap. Do not use Simple Green, Or pine or any other harsh cleaner - they will dull the surface. Apply the soapy water to the clear vinyl section of the curtain with special purpose washing mitt or soft cotton cloths. Thoroughly rinse the soapy solution with fresh water and completely dry the curtains with a high quality chamois. (Swobbit.com makes several tools to make these tasks easier.) Your clear vinyl curtains should be washed whenever your boat is washed. After washing the curtains, apply IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish sparingly with small, light circular motions using a soft cotton cloth. Allow the polish to dry and then remove with a clean soft cotton cloth. Finally, lightly buff to a sparkling shine. Done. For routine maintenance between polishing, use IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner. Insure the clear vinyl panels are free of abrasives. Very lightly mist a soft cotton cloth. Lightly and briskly rub a manageable sized area and then lightly buff dry with another clean cloth. Done

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook