SailNet Community - View Single Post - Purchasing through Charter Programs
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2001

audbydez is on a distinguished road
Purchasing through Charter Programs

Jeff

I agree with you on the "save a buck" details of the new dufours but almost all production boats are that way. What I focused on was the key areas of construction features on the Dufour: Whitlock rack and pinion steering; self aligning rudder bearings (sabre is sleeved); high quality fiberglass, resins, gelcoat, scrimp hull construction and 10 yr hull warrantee; volvo saildrive engine (saber is straight shaft driven); folding prop; autohelm ST 6000 linear drive (not rotary) autopilot; electric windlass; anchor and rode; spinnaker gear; an exceptionally spacious forward berth; enourmaous storage (sabre is very lacking in this area) and assorted other standard features for $146,000. Sabre 362 is $246,000. Give me an additional $10,000 and I''ll address all the "save a buck" issues and still have a better built, fast, round the world cruiser for a lot less money. Plus, I''ll have $90,000 left over in which to spend while sailing around the world.

It''s so important to put things in perspective when looking at value and function for the money in yacht purchsing.

I made a very ellaborate spreadsheet type comparison of some of the most popular new boats, their costs, construction materials & techniques, engines, steering, electronics, interior layouts and their standard features: beneteau, catalina, saber, dufour, tartan and C&C. When I was finished it was pretty enlightening.

Hope this clears things up.

Captain Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook