SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good crew and bad crew
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Good crew and bad crew

I've sailed with all kinds, most of em not worth having aboard. Even my own kids are not exactly self sufficient enough to be good crew. My wife was so needy and wanted to be taught something for the 15th time that she was completely unreliable to the point of actually being a danger aboard.
My most recent experience with crew was amazing though, 3 guys (plus me) all extremely self sufficient who got along well for 10 days aboard a 28' boat. I would have thought this impossible. Only one of em knew how to sail but all are "cavers" so tend to be very self reliant and amenable to uncomfortable conditions. At one point, in heavy chop while I was napping, the tiller delaminated. They dug out the tools and found some big clamps and clamped it together and never told me anything till I asked about it when I came out. When it came time to anchor, I explained the ideas behind it all, "make sure the rope runs freely and then lower it to the bottom and I allow her to pull back to dig it in etc." As they were all experts with extreme amounts of rope, there was never any issue of tangled rode and it went so smoothly I was astonished and pleased. All of em immediately understand navigation and would on their own correct the course for compass deviation calling "corrected course" to whoever was plotting.
Am not sure what led to this great experience except I had done a few caving trips with all of em so I knew them to be competent under stress or crappy conditions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook