SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good crew and bad crew
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011

solman55 is on a distinguished road
The problem is it is not their "job" to learn the basics. It is your job to put them in a good learning environment, no yelling, assuming they know anything about boating, etc. I am not a great teacher but I found that being patient is very important. I took a class recently to get official certification, any way the guy was very nice and understanding to everyone understanding that most people did not have any knowledge of boating which is what you have to assume. With family you need to be even more careful, because you live with them and it is often easier to be unintentionally mean to them. For example if you take anyone sailing family included you have to know that even though they want to sail it does not mean they know the basics as the question is what is the basics? For each person that is different. Just something to think about. Although it is nice to have people that are self sufficient but not everyone has the mechanical knowledge that is needed to be that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook