SailNet Community - View Single Post - BA Thesis Ecoyacht
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011

akashara is on a distinguished road
BA Thesis Ecoyacht

Hello everybody!

I'm a new member here and I am not sure if this is the right column, but I got loads of questions
Together with a fellow student, I am studying product/industrial design and we are doing our BA thesis right now, and the topic is "ECOYACHT".

Unlike a lot of other more or less crazy or blue-sky yacht concepts which you can find on the internet, we want to do a preferably realistic concept of a cruising yacht with an as far as possible serious sustainable attitude.
Therefore we got a lot of questions and thoughts we want to share with you and where we hope to find answers.

The basic specifications are:

- Approx. 50 feet/ 15 metre performance cruising catamaran, suited for day cruises as well as 1-2 week travels, also charter
- the yacht will be powered by sails, since this is obviously still the most ecological way to power a boat
- instead of normal sails, we want to use wing-sails on our ship. It seems to have:
+ better efficiency
+ generates more drive
+ together with an electronic supporting system it could handle pretty
"easy"
- a big topic is rigging/ fast unrigging with strong winds or when based in
a marina
- we aren't sure how "accepted" wings are within the sailing community/
the customer
First steps towards unriggable wing sails have been made by omer wings
sails
- Everthing should be powered without fuel-burning motors

So basically speaking, what would you as a "possbile" buyer of an "ecoyacht" expect or wish ? In general, in what do you set value if you decide to purchase a big sailing yacht and want to spend about 1 Million $ ?

Do you think wing-sail is a reasonable technology for a cruising yacht ? Or should it be combined with the more traditional common sails ?

What are important aspects if you want to go on a 2-3 week trip concerning the boat ?

Which aspects of common Yachts in the 50 feet class do you think are not "eco" or sustainable at all, and which are particularly sustainable ?

You could really help us a lot if you answer those questions or write what ever comes to your mind.

Thanks a lot in advance!

akashara
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook