SailNet Community - View Single Post - Furling Line Hardware -- A New Option
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Hey John just looked at this thread and noticed that your and Jet's lines run outboard on the stanchions. Any particular reason for that??
I like to keep that line inboard as not to interfere with my jib sheet.
Also when my genoa is unfurled I don't really have to cleat it off as the wind and jib sheets don't put tension on it. I only cleat this line off when I "reef" the jib and or when fully rolled up....
Hi EJO,

Not sure if you had time to read my opening post to this thread, but the main idea of these OSLBA and other similar "outboard" blocks is to clean-up and reduce tripping hazards where folks are walking along the side-decks. In my case, the inboard blocks like you have were at just the right height that we constantly clipped our ankles on them. By placing the lead blocks and furling line outboard, our side decks are cleared up and easier to maneuver on. The line runs smoother, too.

Also, we do not experience any interference with the jib sheets. Outboard lead blocks are not new -- they seem to be the most common type nowadays. I haven't heard many if any complaints about jib-sheet interference. But, I could see where on certain configurations it might be a consideration.

As for cleating, you're right, there's really no need to cleat the furling line when the jib is unfurled, as the line is "lazy" at that point. However, the cleat is often the best place to neatly store the bitter end until it's needed again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook