SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking Advice on Living on an Yacht
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
Seeking Advice on Living on an Yacht

My wife and I live on our Morgan 33 Out Islander. Our boat is 33'' long with a 12'' beam. She is quite roomy for a 33'' boat. My preference runs to the Morgans...at least the Out Islanders. As a 33'' she has a full head, galley and sleeping room for six. Just my wife and I are on the boat though. There is a forward v-berth, a pull out settee, a convertible table and a rear quarter berth. She is not a fast boat as she is heavy and full keeled....but she is stable and steady. She is 26 years old and doing quite well with our TLC and maintenance, and we expect her to be around for many more years and journeys.

Living on a boat is not the same as living in a house. The area is smaller, and everything is close. You had best get along well with your wife or girlfriend..... We find this style of living amenable as we enjoy the water, have plans to cruise soon and just don''t want to mow grass any more. But living on a boat is not all just fun. A boat has to be maintained...and in good shape since your life depends on it away from the dock.

I know very little about Beneteaus...so I can''t help you there. I would suggest that you go to some boat shows look at boats, new and used, go to the library and get every book you can about sailboats, especially types and designs. Try to look at as many as you can before you settle on any one kind or type.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook