SailNet Community - View Single Post - Used boat budget and "investment" question
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperiorGeezer View Post
One final thought from The Voyager’s Handbook by Beth Leonard (574 pages on 8X11 inch paper, rather fine print, with a lot of sensible info) “But infants turn into toddlers quickly, and toddlers are not as well suited to life aboard. Toddlers are too young to understand why they can’t play with the gimbaled stove and too old to say where you put them. Their mobility is astonishing, their curiosity unquenchable. To keep toddlers safe, you must child proof an area of your boat and never leave them unattended on deck…Pre school-age children are more flexible and often adapt more quickly than older children. They can be taught to swim and understand the word no!” So, here is another reason to take your time on buying and repairing the sailboat, get the baby past the terrable twos before sailing. Beth Leonard also has a lot of info on the expenses of owning a sailboat that's carefully thoughout.
I certainly appreciate your input. My daughter seems to take after me, I can barely keep her safe in our own home, the kid is so precocious. We have had her out on the water, but it seems that 3 hours is about her limit before the confines of a cabin and cockpit start to get to her.
We live on the SF Bay where luckily we can take off for a few hours on the water on a sat morning and when it comes to buying a boat, I have started to come to the conclusion I would be more looking to a pretty small boat, something easy to cast off in and tool around the bay, maybe even a pocket cruiser, saving any coastal cruising for chartering a bigger boat, and saving longer voyages for a couple of years down the road.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook